A few days into 2014, but I love looking back at these each year – This year the revised list of questions from RA.
1. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 40 – the big one. The day of my birthday, I took a vacation day. Had a manicure/pedicure with my friend Sara, met Karin for lunch and shopping, dinner at Noodles with the family, and then we played Just Dance Disney with the kids at home. Good day! The next day we had friends over for the evening, so the kids play Just Dance again and we caught up with friends. It was a GREAT birthday!
2. What are your strongest memories from this year, and why?
My kids aren’t babies any more…
In 2013, Maria transitioned from a Kindergartner to a big kid. She is quite the social butterfly and has a lot of interests. She has definite opinions about what she likes. She also now to the point where she chooses her friends based on common interests and not just because she sits by them.
Charlie went from a toddler to a preschooler. He is all boy and loves all things trucks or balls. He transitioned to a big boy bed and gave up his “nuk-er”. He started preschool and is now going all-day, every day. He can easily play by himself for 45 minutes at a time or with other kids. Maria and Charlie really have discovered they love to play together! He does not like when she has a friend over and he is left out.
3. What did you do this year that you’d never done before?
Fired my cleaning lady… A few things had disappeared and when my friend’s daughter’s piggy bank was emptied out, we let her go…
4. What did you want and get?
Braces – Still have them, but I see the changes and only have a few months left in them..
5. What did you want and not get?
Charlie to be potty trained!
6. What would you like to have next year that you didn’t have this year?
Better balance to my evenings during the week and spending more time with my kids.
7. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
For 2013 my goals were to:
- simplify and not over-think. – I don’t know how well I did at this!?
My 2014 goals/resolutions are:
- Get healthy – Eat better (stop cheating and eating gluten/dairy/soy) and exercise more – Cliché, but I really fell off the wagon this year…
8. What was your biggest achievement of this year?
I think I got some clarity on how I can be more successful at work.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not being prepared for change when I got a new manager at work. It was my first change in manager in my 4 years with the company and I did not handle it as well as I should have. I think it still would have been hard, but I think I could have made it easier and I will do better next time.
10. What did you rely on when you were overwhelmed?
My co-worker friends , seriously they supported me a LOT this year.
11. What are your strongest recommendations for entertainment from this year? (books, television, movies, music, etc)
TV = New Girl , Books = Still Alice
12. What song will remind you of this year?
Girl on Fire – by Alicia Keys – Mostly I will remember Charlie singing along in the car… too cute!
13. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year (not necessarily from the song that reminds you of the year).
I don’t quote songs…
14. What was your most enjoyable purchase?
15. Did you travel? If so, where?
I made it to Wisconsin a few times – Luther Park in August, Spooner and the Dells in October, Green Bay in November
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Time off with my friends – with and without kids…
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
18. Compared to this time last year, how are you different?
I think I pulled myself out of a rut. Or at least recognized that I was in a rut – Baby Steps.
19. Compared to this time last year, how are you the same?
I still weigh the same, I still look the same,
20. What’s a life lesson you learned this year?
I need to embrace change and be prepared for curve balls. I think I’m slowly getting better equipped for this.
Previous: 2012, 2011, 2000-2009