Here’s what you missed in July:
- Our annual 4th of July picnic was small (just family) but fun!
- Maria had a belated birthday celebration with her BFF – lunch at American Girl store and a sleepover!
- Maria took a hip hop dance class.
- Charlie and Maria took swimming lessons.
- Introduced Charlie to Playland at McDonald’s (LOVED IT!)
- Maria spent several days with her cousins and went to Vacation Bible School with them.
- Charlie went to one of his cousin Drew’s baseball games.
- Discovered Chutes & Ladders park.
- Maria went to a week of day camp with her friend Gracey
- Both kids had a week at backup daycare – Charlie loved it!
- We spent a week at Luther Park.
- Maria went to see Dispicable Me 2 with a friend
- Signed Charlie up to start preschool and Sunday School in September (next week!) and toured both!
- Maria went to a Lynx game with Chad.
- We went to see Planes – Charlie’s first movie.
- Chad golfed in a couple of golf tournaments
- Checked out the Splash Pad at the YMCA and a newly “remodeled” park near home
- Celebrated our friend Ellis’ first birthday
- Met Maria’s First Grade Teacher
Can’t believe it’s time for a new school year!
We spent the first week of August at Luther Park. It was a really great time. The only downer being that the pool wasn’t open much and when it was, it was chilly!
Other than that, both kids had a blast! Lots of scootering, bike riding, soccer, GaGa, singing, dancing, and playing with friends and cousins!
Did anyone see where June went? Wow that was fast. But as they say, time flies when you’re having fun. And mostly June was fun!
When I say mostly, that implies that parts of it weren’t. Those parts would be weekends #1 and #2 and the week between. Why do you ask? Well if you remember May, the last weekend Maria had a stomach bug. Which Charlie didn’t pick up until the following weekend. There was a lot of sheets changed and rugs washed that weekend. Which I’m fairly certain was why I got the bug that following Monday night. Then the weekend came again, and it was Maria’s turn again. Chad drank grape juice and remained safe!
We pulled it together and stayed healthy for a week. We had a fun barbecue at Karin’s while learning a good lesson about setting boundaries for a 3 year old boy.
And the following weekend we had a family reunion with Chad’s family and cousins. Good times! And the following weekend, we had Chad’s 20 year class reunion while his parents hung out with the kids.
In between all of that:
- Maria graduated from Kindergarten
- I cleaned up the landscaping and spread a LOT of mulch!
- Both kids started swimming lessons
- We’ve played a lot of Thomas the Train Uno and Spot It.
- Charlie also spends considerable amount of time pushing a dump truck
- Maria learned to ride her bike!
- I upgraded to an iPhone5… which is probably the only reason there are pictures for me to post below…
- Chad and I also worked. yeah, those jobs sure get in the way of summer.
So yeah, my things to do for June did not get done, except for the landscaping things…
On Sunday evening, we decided to get the kids out of the house. Even though we had a fun-filled weekend, we wanted to make sure we burned off a little energy before bed. So we hauled the bikes up to the school to get some riding practice in. We figured we just needed a big flat space.
And it worked. Maria rode her bike by herself – start to finish! time and time again! So proud of her. We’d been struggling about 4 weeks ago with starting and keeping it up for more than 10-15 feet. We hadn’t practiced in a long time but on Sunday, she didn’t hesitate – just got on her bike and went! We were all excited!
Today we celebrated Maria’s Kindergarten Graduation. She has had an exceptional year. She has made friends and really blossomed socially – honestly this is the part I was most worried about. I never doubted that she’d be great at reading or math or art or any of that stuff. Although I must say I am very proud that she is coming out of Kindergarten reading chapter books and understanding basic math (including multiplication).
So proud. Can’t believe how far she has come since last year’s graduation.
Well I’m glad I didn’t put as a May goal to blog more! because that did not happen!
Here’s what happened in May:
Maria’s Birthday Party– Success! Watch Silver Linings Playbook.Excellent!
- Follow up with Doctor re: fingers – Wasn’t able to get an appt until July 1st, but switched to brand name for my prescription and that worked! Wearing my ring again!
- Charlie’s 3 year book
Run some more… 5K on June 1! Technically I did run more, but not enough to be prepared for the 5K last weekend… It all worked out anyways, because Charlie threw up 4 times the night before.
- Books Read = 2 – Yes. One. Two.
Other things I did?
- Got braces – yes hopefully for just a year, to correct some shifting teeth. My teeth weren’t bad, I just don’t know if I could have handled them shifting more. So if you see me not smiling in pictures, that is why.
- Finished up my year as a Daisy Scout leader. I’ve stepped down for next year.
- Bought a juicer and started Juicing. It is fun coming up with different variations as a means to get the good stuff into my body quickly.
Plans for June:
- Charlies 3 year book.
- Maria’s 6 year book.
- Clean up landscaping.
Honestly – that doesn’t seem like much but I will actually be stretching myself knowing all of what else is on the schedule (barbecues, family reunion, Chad’s class reunion, Maria’s sleepover with her BFF, swimming lessons) And that also assumes no curve balls,like the stomach bug that 3 of us have experienced in the last 10 days…